Are you interested in helping to promote careers in physical therapy? Would you enjoy engaging high school students in learning more about careers in physical therapy and encouraging them to join the physical therapy profession? Do you get excited about the opportunity to promote the benefits of our profession? Is diversity in our profession important to you?
Are you interested in sponsoring a student scholarship in memory/honor of someone important in your life? Will you be a champion for physical therapy student scholarships to companies and foundations to solicit new scholarship funds for our profession?
The IPTA is currently recruiting members in all categories of membership – students, new graduates, and PT and PTA professionals to help raise awareness of physical therapy careers in Illinois and to excite the next generation of students to join the physical therapy profession. A select group will be chosen to work together to accomplish the task of promoting careers in PT to students as well as garnering funds to offer more scholarships to make a career in PT a reality.
If you are interested in being part of this, simply complete the application and submit in order to be considered for appointment by the Board of Directors.
The Career in PT Committee is being formed by the IPTA Board of Directors for the purpose of fulfilling the following objectives of the 2019-2020 Strategic Plan:
Goal 1: Encourage careers in physical therapy.
- Develop and promote opportunities for current PT/PTA students and new graduates to visit high schools to promote PT career, with emphasis placed on minority high school students.
- Seek out additional partnerships and opportunities to provide scholarships to PT/PTA student members in Illinois.
Tasks The committee is tasked with completing following according to the timeline provided:
- Develop strategies to implement and promote PT careers to High School Students (December 31, 2019)
- Review and revise program from 2014. (December 31, 2019)
- Implement outreach program to High School students with goal of reaching 500 students by Y/E 2020.
- Identify opportunity to collaborate with the UIC mentorship program and help develop similar program for other schools. UIC program: UIC Mentor Program , https://www.minoritymentorship.org/ (December 31, 2019 for collaboration; May 1, 2020 for other school programs)
- Find out what PT scholarships already are being offered in state. (December 31, 2019)
- Partner with the IPTF to explore possibilities to create additional scholarships. (April, 2020)
Accountability The committee is accountable to the Board of Directors.
Constituency Members appointed by the President and approved by the Board. Linda Griffith will serve as the staff liaison to the committee. Jeff Damaschke, PT will serve as the Board Champion and liaison between the committee and Board. Mary Jones, PT has agreed to be the Committee Chair. The committee will seek input from others as needed to complete their tasks.
Resources: Funds needed will be requested with justification and submitted to the IPTA President. Additional resources should be requested through the assigned staff member (space, staff support, funds, information, etc). A response to the request (approval or options) will be provided within 48 hours.
Meetings: The committee will determine the number, frequency, location/format of meetings. The Chair of the committee is responsible for preparing meeting agendas, assigning responsibilities, tracking progress and completion of tasks, and preparing interim reports to the Board as requested. The Chair will work with the assigned IPTA staff member to prepare and distribute materials in advance of each meeting.
Records: The committee will appoint a member to keep meeting notes. Meeting notes and all related documents will become part of the IPTA Archives.